Re: Why is is that people post before looking stuff up in the manual !!!

From: Richard <roxl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 2000/05/26

> Could it be because Oracle manuals are becomming pretty awful ?
> Or maybe they got fed up trying to navigate the damned CD version ?
> Have you tried finding something in the HTML version - its pathetic.
> Or worse, maybe they don't have the manual - Oracle don't seem to supply
> them these days.
>
> Anyway, who reads manuals ? <g,d,r>

Hmm. I agree that the HTML manuals are a pain - in the SQL reference everything seems to be on the one page. I must admit that when I started with Oracle I had the benefit of printed manuals. Additionally - although I didn't raise it initially, I have sympathy for those for whom English is a second language... that must make it harder (does Oracle print manuals in Chinese, Russian etc?)

But "who reads manuals"... well hopefully all those that call themselves DBAs do. I mean we're professionals right, isn't it negligent to get by on guesswork...

Seriously though - I'm not advocating that everyone read them from cover-to-cover (though its pretty informative, the first time through anyway). I do think that a check could be made for an appropriate entry though prior to a post.

/Richard/ Received on Fri May 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT