Re: Problem with Listener

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/05/23

"Andrew Wilson" <andrewwilson2_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>My problem comes about in Step 8A under the Developer installation. When I
>type "start" at the listener prompt, I get the following error message
>returned:
>
>Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK,
>facility=TNSTNS-125

It seems to me that none of the Oracle server networking options have been installed. Remember that the listener is a server side program. It needs to run on the same platform as the Oracle darabase engine. It functions as the "network interface" for the database engine - even multiple database engines. Think of it as the usher that shows the client to his seat (database process) on the server.. :-)

If you are not using a local Oracle database on your platform, then you do not need the listener. You only need the client portion of SQL*Net installed, e.g. SQL*Net and Oracle TCP/IP adapter. In this case you only configure the TNSNAMES.ORA file and test the TNS aliases that you create using the program TNSPING.EXE or TNSPING80.EXE

regards,
Billy Received on Tue May 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT