Re: Shutting Oracle Down for Backup

From: Mark Rogowski <m.rogowski_at_uwinnipeg.ca>
Date: 2000/05/18

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> In Oracle you have cold and hot backup. Your backup procedure assumes cold
> backup, though Arcserve is capable of (assuming the Oracle Agent is present)
> hot backup.
> For cold backup the database needs to be down.
> A net stop command is equivalent to a shutdown abort, ie a crash of the
> database.
> You'll need to use the oradim73 command to shutdown the database
> oradim73 -shutdown -sid <yoursid> -password <the internal
> password> -shutmode i -shuttype srvc,inst
> Can be used in any .bat or .cmd file, no problem, also runs using WinAT, so
> no unpaid overtime involved :)
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand,

Thanks for responding! Yes, we do have a script that shuts the databases down prior to the backup (the guru set it up and tested it - works fine).

ARCServe does a successful backup of the two databases we have on this server, but on compare we get a sharing violation on specific files like:

\database\dataspc.dbs
\database\ddspace.dbs

on one database and:

\database\rbs1orcl.ora
\database\sys1orcl.ora
\network\admin\collect.dat
                        \process.dat
                        \regid.dat

\<any number of files>.ora

With the script we have in place now (made by the guru - btw the script is quite similar to the one you mentioned), can you tell me if the databases are actually 'shut down' by seeing the above files? Are we missing something?

Also, if the databases are shut down properly, like from using the script you mentioned, can a person safely use the 'net stop' command to shut the service down at that point?

Thanks for your help!

Mark Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT