Re: Shutting Oracle Down for Backup

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: 2000/05/18

"Mark Rogowski" <m.rogowski_at_uwinnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:39245FF4.5BA0EC08_at_uwinnipeg.ca...

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

> > In Oracle you have cold and hot backup. Your backup
 procedure assumes cold
> > backup, though Arcserve is capable of (assuming the Oracle
 Agent is present)
> > hot backup.
> > For cold backup the database needs to be down.
> > A net stop command is equivalent to a shutdown abort, ie a
 crash of the
> > database.
> > You'll need to use the oradim73 command to shutdown the
 database
> > oradim73 -shutdown -sid <yoursid> -password <the internal
> > password> -shutmode i -shuttype srvc,inst
> > Can be used in any .bat or .cmd file, no problem, also runs
 using WinAT, so
> > no unpaid overtime involved :)
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> Thanks for responding! Yes, we do have a script that shuts
 the databases down
> prior to the backup (the guru set it up and tested it - works
 fine).

> ARCServe does a successful backup of the two databases we have
 on this server,
> but on compare we get a sharing violation on specific files
 like:

> \database\dataspc.dbs
> \database\ddspace.dbs
>
> on one database and:
>
> \database\rbs1orcl.ora
> \database\sys1orcl.ora
> \network\admin\collect.dat
> \process.dat
> \regid.dat
>
> \<any number of files>.ora
>
> With the script we have in place now (made by the guru - btw
 the script is quite
> similar to the one you mentioned), can you tell me if the
 databases are actually
> 'shut down' by seeing the above files? Are we missing
 something?

> Also, if the databases are shut down properly, like from using
 the script you
> mentioned, can a person safely use the 'net stop' command to
 shut the service
> down at that point?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mark

are the "compares" running as part of the backup process? i suspect your problem may be that the database is being restarted before you run the compares. You may be able to configure Arcserve to verify the backup for you (that is, compare the original and the backup copy.)

i suspect that the \network\admin files may be locked by the listener process.

HTH Received on Thu May 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT