Re: 8i's memory footprint

From: Kevin A Lewis <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/05/17

Comments see in document

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United
Kingdom)
                        <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>

The views expressed herein by the author of this document
are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.
Guy Dallaire <gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to migrate from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6 on solaris in the near
> future. Unfortunately, there is no more printed documentation with
> oracle 8...

see the online Installation documentation for 8.1.6 at the Oracle Technet site for the resource requirements
> To test the new installer and other stuff, I decided to install 8.1.6
> on linux. It never completed, it hung whil creating the test
> database. I had to kill it. I then discovered that the database was
> created and it was HUGE. The SGA was BIGGER than the physical RAM in
> the machine....
should check requirements BEFORE starting

> Anyway, I shut it down and played with the parameter file. I stumbled
> on a couple of new memory structures and would like to have more
> details about the java_pool_size and java_reserved_size (Or something
> like that) parameters. They were BIG for a 96 Mb machine (At 20 Mb for
> the pool size)

These can be set right down to LOW number, I believe there is a low number limit (e.g. 1K) not sure what it is.
> Also, I would like to know if anyone has a good text about what's
> new/changed since 8i in a practical manner. For example, there is no
> more SQL*DBA or svrmgrl with 8i, you have to use sqlplus.
Again you should be able to find the differences routing around on the Oracle web sites.

> I discovered that you can connect as "internal" from sqlplus to do
> maintenance, but oracle says they will remove "internal" in the
> future, is there a way to connect as sysdba from the command line to
> sql*plus in 8i ? How ?
This has been flagged as obsolete by Oracle for some time. The replacement syntax is connect USERNAME as sysdba if you have normal internal access then the command equivalent is connect / as sysdba and you should be in.