8i's memory footprint

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallair_at_criq.qc.ca>
Date: 2000/05/17

Hi,

I'm planning to migrate from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6 on solaris in the near future. Unfortunately, there is no more printed documentation with oracle 8...

To test the new installer and other stuff, I decided to install 8.1.6 on linux. It never completed, it hung whil creating the test database. I had to kill it. I then discovered that the database was created and it was HUGE. The SGA was BIGGER than the physical RAM in the machine....

Anyway, I shut it down and played with the parameter file. I stumbled on a couple of new memory structures and would like to have more details about the java_pool_size and java_reserved_size (Or something like that) parameters. They were BIG for a 96 Mb machine (At 20 Mb for the pool size)

Also, I would like to know if anyone has a good text about what's new/changed since 8i in a practical manner. For example, there is no more SQL*DBA or svrmgrl with 8i, you have to use sqlplus.

I discovered that you can connect as "internal" from sqlplus to do maintenance, but oracle says they will remove "internal" in the future, is there a way to connect as sysdba from the command line to sql*plus in 8i ? How ?

Thanks Received on Wed May 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT