Re: Oracle 8i Install on NT

From: James Belton <rsitest_at_freenetname.co.uk>
Date: 2000/05/16

Jonno,

Has the service been created (the name for the default database ORCL is OracleServiceORCL) on NT and are they started? Is your SID name ORCL? If it's not, then you will need to create a new service using the ORADIM utility.

Next, in the registry, is your ORACLE_SID key set to the correct sid name, the same with the ORACLE_HOME key.

Also, has your NT user got the DBA role granted to it (at the WindowsNT level)?

Regards

James

http://www.jamesbelton.co.uk

"jonno" <jonnoshaw_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:v70U4.120$_s2.38520_at_news.pacbell.net...
> I am trying to install Oracle 8i on Windows NT. I had an install of
 Oracle
> 8.0.5 previously but removed it before installing 8i. perhaps that was my
> mistake, however when I install 8i I can see the databases, connect
 remotely
> using net8 UNTIL I reboot. Once I have rebooted all I get when I try and
> connect using anything is the message: "Oracle Not available". The
 services
> are running. I thought that maybe it was getting confused with a previous
> installation of Oracle 8, so deinistalled 8i, removed all references I
 could
> find to Oracle in the registry and tried installing again. Same problem.
> What gives? Any help would be appreciated before I go back to using MS
 SQL