Re: Any help for a new DBA?

From: John Jones <john.jones_at_duke.edu>
Date: 2000/05/15

I think what he is saying here is that way too many people are worrying about becoming Certified in Oracle. They want to rush out and take all of those exams and become Certified. First, with no working experience in Oracle, the test are going to be very difficult. Next, this type of attitude is just going to make the Certifications mean very little. I had been working with Oracle for 5 years before I took any test. I still had to do studying, but the test were not that hard for me.

 In a past job, I was an Oracle Trainer. The first thing people wanted to know was, were they ready to take the test. I had one young lady in my Oracle DBA class getting very frustrated that she was not learning enough to take the certification test. I asked her how long she had been doing Oracle work. To make a long story short, this was her first exposure to Oracle.

Get real people. You are not going to take a 1 week class and then go get certified in Oracle. Even if you do, I am not going to hire you. I want to see some real live Oracle experince. The best thing you can do is take the training from Oracle Education, get a job as a Junior Oracle DBA, get some experience, and then in 6 months to a year, you MAY be ready to take the test.

--
John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA