Re: Help: user create database command

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/05/14

Fcs2635 <fcs2635_at_aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 20000513141141.23218.00000278_at_ng-fz1.aol.com...
> I am reading Oracle8, beginning's guide. On the section to create another
> database, they provide the following sequence.
>
> SVRMGR>connect internal
> SVRMGR>spool scratch.log
> SVRMGR>set echo on
> SVRMGR>startup nomount pfile=d:\orant\database\initprac.ora
> SVRMGR>create database prac
> 2 datafile 'd:\orant\database\dbs1prac.dbf' size 10m
> 3 logfile 'd:\orant\database\log1prac.dbf',
> 'd:\orant\database\log2prac.dbf' size 200k
> 4 maxlogfiles.......
> statement processed.
>

> The problem is, when i type: connect internal, the database ask me for my
> password, when I type oracle, the database log me to another database,
 which
> is the default database, ORCL, and when you try to create database, you
 get an
> error message that the database is mounted by another instance.
> If you type the password with some other word, you will get an error
 message
> that the logon fail. There must be something wrong with their
 instruction,
> could someone help me out how to create a database using command line?
>
> Thank you very much.

Creating a new database implies creating a new instance (please also read the Oracle concepts)
In your case the instance would be called prac. You need to create an instance with the Oracle instance manager, oradim80
If you type oradim80 -help in a dos box you will see the exact parameters Then you need to set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to prac, then you need to run the commands you already outlined, and you need to run %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms80\admin\catalog.sql and catproc.sql (from the same directory) in svrmgr, connected as internal.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun May 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT