Re: Oracle licesing/pricing question...

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/05/11

If you are looking for Linux 8i (8.1.6), there is a link on the http://technet.oracle.com site that allows you to get a free CD of this software. You may have to wait a few weeks for it, however.

To access this, go to technet and register. On the home page you will see a link to Linux free resources. Select the link. Then select the Oracle 8i link under Software downloads. Then select the first link. Then fill out the license page. Finally, you should get to a page which offers you the free CD.

What is free is the CD which offers a development license. A production license would not be free even on Linux as far as I know. Although I requested the CD, I haven't received it yet so I don't know which version will arrive.

As you have noticed it is probably useless to try to directly download this software from technet even though that option is available. (I have one project that went from Oracle Application Server to ASP on IIS because the slowness of web page delivery and the inability to complete an ftp from the technet site seemed to demonstrate that OAS was not scalable. Also the installation of OAS4.0.8.1 did not proceed smoothly. Oh well.)

Frank Hubeny