Re: Personal Oracle 8.1.5 and Bequeath-Protocoll

From: Stefan Misch <stefan.misch_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2000/05/06

Well - thanks for the info guys, but it didn't help me very much...

I'm still having trouble with my Oracle8i (8.1.5.0.0) on my new Win98SE laptop.
There is no BEQUEATH protocoll, I also tried a custom installation. In the online-docs I found a hint that makes me think that BEQUEATH is no longer supported with Oracle8i.

Regarding the LISTNER:
I have to define a new address using TCP/IP, "localhost", port 1521 for the LISTNER. I also defined a new net service name "PORAIP" which I want to use for the client (CENTURA-application) to connect to PO8i.

If I start PO8i using the "Start Database" icon, then start the Net8 Assistant to test my new PORAIP net service, I get an error "ORA-12541: TNS: no listener".

I then run REGEDIT to change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORACLE\HOME0\LISTENER_STARTUP from "NOAUTO" to
"AUTO". After restarting the database I can successfully connect to PORAIP
using Net8 Assistant, SQLPlus and SQLTalk from Centura.

The "typical installation" also created a LISTNER entry using IPC protocoll with a key named "EXTPROC0" and a NET SERVICE NAME entry named
"EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA" using IPC. There is a LISTENER address defined for
IPC with key EXTPROC0 and an Oracle 8.0 compatible SID named "PLSExtProc". But I'm not able to connect to PO8i using this net service name. I get an error "ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start dedicated server process".

Any new tips for me how I can improve my PO8i-installation ?

Stefan. Received on Sat May 06 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT