Redo Log Positioning

From: <rogerxb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/02

I currently have two redo log files, unmirrored and sized at 2M each. When we see intense processing there is a slow down and the error log indicates that the bottleneck is the redo logs; they are unable to complete archiving quickly enough when switching from redo 1 to redo 2.

So I realize I have to re-work the system to at least increase the size of the logs, and therefore switch less frequently.

Here's my question.

I have 5 physical 9.1 Gig drives - split into two raid sets - 2 * 9.1 Gig Raid 1 and
3 * 9.1 Raid 5.
The current redo logs are placed one on each of these separate devices.
I understand that my Raid 5 is going to be slower when writing the logs, but what I want to know is - how should I lay out my log files? I believe The theoretical best is to have three groups with two mirrored members in each, across at least three devices; but I only have two physical devices and one is quicker than the other ...... any suggestions ??
Should I just increase the size of my logs, and allow the operating system to do all the mirroring ???

Cheers
Rog

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT