Re: DB-Migration from Oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.5

From: <asokol99_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/19

I just completed the migration of one of our development Oracle 7.3.4 databases to Oracle 8iR2 (8.1.6). Migration appears to be successfull - we have all objects and data in order. More tests will tell though.

Here is some details on what i did:

  1. Used 2 articles from oracle metalink: 47290.1 (Oracle7 -> Oracle8) and 76460.1 (Oracle7 -> Oracle8i)
  2. 76460.1 recommends to set all tablespaces (except SYSTEM and RBS) to offline or read only. I tried offline and first migration attempt failed with an error ORA-01110 - problem reading file '...' that was one of the datafiles from offline tablespaces . i went back and set all tablespaces (again, except system and rbs) read only. Second migration attempt proceeded till the end.
  3. I used a command line migration executable, and used a different SID for NEW_DBNAME argument then the database being migrated. Probably the same name could be used (i will verify that on my next database). Document 76460 is written as the same name was used, 47290 describes what must be done if different name is used.
  4. In post-migration tasks chapter doc 47290 tells to run cat8000.sql script to create catalog - there is such script in my 8.1.6 installation. Doc 76460 correctly prompts to execute u070304.sql, which in turn runs catalog and catproc scripts.

all in all, it was a good experience - looks like that migration program is one of the better oracle tools around.

Alex
In article <8di5ue$1eh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   rspeaker_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> probably. I have not gone from 7.3.x to 8.1.6 but I have gone from
> 8.0.5 to 8.1.6 and it was different than going from 7.3.x to 8.0.5.
 The
> installer is all java based, and can launch the migration wizard (also
> java-based) following the installation of 8.1.6. I did not encounter
> any issues with it but I would expect it to be different than going to
> 8.0.5.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> In article <8dhp37$i2h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> asokol99_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Thanks for the hints.
> > I will be migrating 7.3.4 to 8i (8.1.6). Should i expect migration
> > be different for 8i then 8.0.5?
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > In article <8dfsnh$gj9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > rspeaker_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > a few suggestions that helped me do this same thing:
> > >
> > > make sure you have the COMPATIBLE parameter set in init.ora
> > > take all tablespaces offline except SYSTEM and ROLLBACK
> > >
> > > this last step should help to reduce your initial migration time
 by
 only
> > > converting the SYSTEM and ROLLBACK tablespaces at first. Then,
 one
 by
> > > one, bring the tablespaces online and they will be converted.
 Also,
 the
> > > migration utility has a parameter (I think it is CHECK_ONLY=TRUE)
> > > make sure you have ample space in your system tablespace to
 perform
 the
> > > migration. This also makes it easier to restore your database if
 the
> > > migration fails.
> > >
> > > If you don't already have a copy, I strongly suggest getting a
 copy
 of
> > > the Oracle 8 Migration manual. It is pretty helpful.
> > >
> > > Good Luck!

 copied
 the
 in
 the

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Apr 19 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT