Re: DB-Migration from Oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.5

From: <rspeaker_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/18

probably. I have not gone from 7.3.x to 8.1.6 but I have gone from 8.0.5 to 8.1.6 and it was different than going from 7.3.x to 8.0.5. The installer is all java based, and can launch the migration wizard (also java-based) following the installation of 8.1.6. I did not encounter any issues with it but I would expect it to be different than going to 8.0.5.

Good Luck.

In article <8dhp37$i2h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   asokol99_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Thanks for the hints.
> I will be migrating 7.3.4 to 8i (8.1.6). Should i expect migration
> be different for 8i then 8.0.5?
>
> Alex
>
> In article <8dfsnh$gj9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> rspeaker_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > a few suggestions that helped me do this same thing:
> >
> > make sure you have the COMPATIBLE parameter set in init.ora
> > take all tablespaces offline except SYSTEM and ROLLBACK
> >
> > this last step should help to reduce your initial migration time by
 only
> > converting the SYSTEM and ROLLBACK tablespaces at first. Then, one
 by
> > one, bring the tablespaces online and they will be converted. Also,
 the
> > migration utility has a parameter (I think it is CHECK_ONLY=TRUE) to
> > make sure you have ample space in your system tablespace to perform
 the
> > migration. This also makes it easier to restore your database if
 the
> > migration fails.
> >
> > If you don't already have a copy, I strongly suggest getting a copy
 of
> > the Oracle 8 Migration manual. It is pretty helpful.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >
> > In article <38E8945A.9228D54_at_t-online.net>,
> > Albrecht von Falkenhausen <a.falkenhausen_at_t-online.net> wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to migrate a 40G large Database from Oracle 7.3.4
 version
> > > 8.0.5.
> > >
> > > I've installed Oracle 8.0.5 Ent. Edition in a different home,
 copied
 the
> > > original init.ora to the new site, deleted two entries
> > > (unlimited_rollback_segments=TRUE and checkpoint_process=TRUE) in
 the
> > > init-file and started the Database Migration Assistant. The
 migration
> > > gets terminated after about 20 minutes with the database being
 shutdown.

> > > Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? The Oracle
 dokumentation
> > > does'nt help me anyfurther.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the moment
> > >
> > > Albrecht v Falkenhausen
> > >
> > > a.falkenhausen_at_t-online.net
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Apr 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT