Re: Problems with Advanced Replication...

From: Wayne Menzie <waynem_at_bosmedtechdotcom.nospam>
Date: 2000/04/11

NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de (Roger) wrote in
<8ctlfq$gng$1_at_opal.hamburg.cityline.net>:

>>>6. Once you get the environment setup and are waiting for
>>>dba_repcatlog to
>clear out, try pushing the transactions by using
>DBMS_REPCAT.DO_DEFERRED_REPCAT_ADMIN.<<
>-----------------------------------
>How long can this take ?

That depends on the number of transactions waiting. You may have to push them several times. I also tend to run this at all sites. I haven't seen any documentation that specifically mentions this but it can't hurt.

>I must admit that I don't yet understand the concept of dba_repcatlog.
>What happens when dba_repcatalog 'clears out' ? AFAIK dba_repcatlog is a
>queue for replication catalog changes, is this right ?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

"Whenever you install advanced replication capabilities at a site, Oracle installs the replication catalog, which consists of tables and views, at that site. . . The views are used by master and snapshot sites to determine such information as what objects are being replicated, where they are being replicated, and if any errors have occurred during replication.

"The REPCATLOG at each master site contains the interim status of any asynchronous administrative requests and any error messages generated."

>>>Don't be afraid to start all
>I think this is the first thing I will do in the morning: Recreate all
>instances an start from the beginning.

The peace of mind this brings is well worth the time and effort it will require.

> You aren't working on a production machine, are you? <<
>Not yet but I have to in about two weeks....

Yikes! That's not much time for testing. Good luck.

Wayne Menzie Received on Tue Apr 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT