Re: OCP exam reading list

From: tiny anklet bells <nroshak_at_hcs.harvard.edu>
Date: 2000/04/05

On this topic: Does anyone know where I could find practice exams? I'd like to take a look at what's on the test before I decide when I want to take it. Are any old or sample exams available online, or for purchase?

Thanks,
Natalka Roshak

Zorg markp7832_at_my-deja.com hath momely rade gribble:
: The best reference for any of the OCP examinations is the student notes
: from the Oracle class for that topic. I have seen a couple of the
: manuals and they appear to cover everything on the examination for that
: topic. If you can not go to Oracle's class or borrow a student manual
: then I recommend what I studied.

: Basic SQL and PL/SQL - SQL Manual ch 1 - 3 plus review most used
: commands in ch 4, i.e., create table, index, etc...; Read all of select
: command; For pl/sql read how to declare variable and about looping.
: There is very little pl/sql on the exam.

: DBA Admin - The Concepts manual; It would also not hurt to take this
: test after the SQL and Backup tests since there is some overlap on this
: test. If you have time read DBA Admin manual also.

: Backup and Recovery - The backup and recovery manual; Also the Utility
: manual on imp, exp, and sqlldr. If memory serves me correctly these
: last three items appeared on the DBA exam also.

: Performance and Tuning - The Performance and Tuning Manual

: Net 8 - Net 8 Administration Manual

: I do not think after the student notes that there is any better souce
: than the manuals. I have purchased one of the OCP prep books by Ault
: and do not think it was worth the money. I made the effort to read the
: manuals.

: In article <h7vG4.932$5e.82721_at_newshog.newsread.com>,
: "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote:
:> For 8i, the Oracle concepts documentation is great for the  concepts
:> test. Unfortunately there really isn't an outstanding source for  backup and
:> recovery. On the older test the Oracle Press book was good, but it  doesn't
:> really do much of anything with RMAN. Even the Oracle Backup and  Recovery
:> documentation has many more errors and typos than you'd normally  expect.

:> But it's probably the best you can do.
:>    There are a million choices for SQL and PL/SQL - let your personal
:> preference decide.
:>
:> Van
:>
:> oracle8i <yuchinc_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
:> news:38EA44C5.93BEB72A_at_yahoo.com...
:> > I would love to hear from oracle fellows how you prepare the OCP
 exam.
:> > Especially a reading list you think might be useful based on your
:> > experiences.
:> > I am preparing for ORACLE 8i DBA exams, thought there are only three
:> > tests available so far.
:> > The first test is old, so I think there are many people have
:> > experiences.
:> > I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences with me.
:> > Thanks in advance!
:> >
:> > Eric C.
:> > yuchinc_at_yahoo.com
:> >
:>
:>

: --
: Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
: you follow so follow your own advice --

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

--

Too much coffee I find like amphetamines - you can be
_entirely_ +completely+ and utterly focussed. Just not