Re: OCP exam reading list

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/04/05

The best reference for any of the OCP examinations is the student notes from the Oracle class for that topic. I have seen a couple of the manuals and they appear to cover everything on the examination for that topic. If you can not go to Oracle's class or borrow a student manual then I recommend what I studied.

Basic SQL and PL/SQL - SQL Manual ch 1 - 3 plus review most used commands in ch 4, i.e., create table, index, etc...; Read all of select command; For pl/sql read how to declare variable and about looping. There is very little pl/sql on the exam.

DBA Admin - The Concepts manual; It would also not hurt to take this test after the SQL and Backup tests since there is some overlap on this test. If you have time read DBA Admin manual also.

Backup and Recovery - The backup and recovery manual; Also the Utility manual on imp, exp, and sqlldr. If memory serves me correctly these last three items appeared on the DBA exam also.

Performance and Tuning - The Performance and Tuning Manual

Net 8 - Net 8 Administration Manual

I do not think after the student notes that there is any better souce than the manuals. I have purchased one of the OCP prep books by Ault and do not think it was worth the money. I made the effort to read the manuals.

In article <h7vG4.932$5e.82721_at_newshog.newsread.com>,   "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote:
> For 8i, the Oracle concepts documentation is great for the
 concepts
> test. Unfortunately there really isn't an outstanding source for
 backup and
> recovery. On the older test the Oracle Press book was good, but it
 doesn't
> really do much of anything with RMAN. Even the Oracle Backup and
 Recovery

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.