Re: Temporary Segments

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 2000/04/05

There is another thread where the same question came up.

I favor a 'permanent' tablespace used just for temporary segment for sorts, etc. It is less risky that housing temporary segments in any tablespace that contains 'permanent' data or Rollback segments. It also is easier to control i/o balancing and I think can be more efficient for space control.

There are those that favor mixing the temporary segments and permantent tablespaces. I interpret this to mean tablespaces that hold 'permanent' data.

What I now am curious about, because I am an old fogy that may not know all the new bells and whistles in Oracle, is that if there is a new tablespace type, 'temporary', that gets blown away and recreated every time the database is bounced, ala Informix and MS SS?

O8i has a new (to me) thing of temporary tables (as opposed to tablespaces). If this is what is meant, I would still favor a seperate tablespace to protect my 'permanent' data and balance i/o. In article <8cd240$3hn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   vasarpota_at_my-deja.com wrote:

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.