Re: Temporary Segments

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/04/05

Joe Maloney wrote:

> There is another thread where the same question came up.
>
> I favor a 'permanent' tablespace used just for temporary segment for
> sorts, etc. It is less risky that housing temporary segments in any
> tablespace that contains 'permanent' data or Rollback segments. It
> also is easier to control i/o balancing and I think can be more
> efficient for space control.
>
> There are those that favor mixing the temporary segments and permantent
> tablespaces. I interpret this to mean tablespaces that hold 'permanent'
> data.
>
> What I now am curious about, because I am an old fogy that may not know
> all the new bells and whistles in Oracle, is that if there is a new
> tablespace type, 'temporary', that gets blown away and recreated every
> time the database is bounced, ala Informix and MS SS?
>
> O8i has a new (to me) thing of temporary tables (as opposed to
> tablespaces). If this is what is meant, I would still favor a seperate
> tablespace to protect my 'permanent' data and balance i/o.
> In article <8cd240$3hn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> vasarpota_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > A quick question for someone who can help. Should Temporary Segments
> > be placed in Temporary or Permanent Tablespaces? What are the
> > advantages/disadvantages of each?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> --
> Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
> MPiR, Inc.
> 502-451-7404
> some witty phrase goes here, I think.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

As of 7.2 - tablespace type of TEMPORARY - highly recommended for all sort operations.

As of 8.1 - datafiles of type TEMPORARY - highly recommended with above for sorting etc.

I cannot think of any reason where internal Oracle temp use should be done in a permanent tablespace.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse