root logging as internal

From: <aanon_1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/04/04

Hello all,

Hopefully there is a work around to this "issue". However, so far I have not been able to resolve it.

Last week one of our UNIX admins took the liberty to log into Oracle via the internal account and created himself a Oracle ID. In essence he did this

$ su - oracle

$ svrmgrl

svrmgr > connect internal

And he was off to the races. Seeing that this is a gaping hole in our security I tried a variety of items including using the orapwd utility. I ended up calling Oracle, and they said that since root is a special account and can su to anything, they can log into Oracle as they see fit.

I'm having a tough time believing this. So...

  1. Is this true?
  2. If there is a work around could you pls post it.

I am aware of the audit files (.aud), but they are only useful after the fact.

TIA, anon_1

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Apr 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT