Re: root logging as internal

From: Johnny Chan <johnny.chan_at_workmail.com>
Date: 2000/04/04

I don't see how you can work around this "issue" or even if this is a really valid issue for Oracle.

If someone has the root password on a UNIX box, that person can pretty much do anything he wants, which is why it is absolutely critical that a root password only be given to individuals you can trust.

As exhibited below, a root user can assume the oracle id identity and create oracle id's. The root user can also start rm'ing your database files (doesn't even have to assume the oracle id to do so), in which case you're really, really hosed.

Your issue is not really Oracle's but your SysAdmin's level of access and security. You might want to clamp down on how many people have root passwords or install sudo to provide more limited root abilities to a larger set of users, but prevent the ability to do certain commands (like su or rm).

jc