Error message retrieving data from Oracle database using subquery via Microsoft rdo

From: The NewsBrowser <nbr_at_newsbrowser.com>
Date: 2000/04/01

All,

I have a Microsoft Visual Basic application which connects to an Oracle 7.3 database using RDO. When I attempt to retrieve data using the following statement (which constructs a query with a subquery):

    SqlStr = "SELECT Module_Code FROM Modules "
    SqlStr = SqlStr & "WHERE Module_Code NOT IN "
    SqlStr = SqlStr & "(SELECT Module_Code FROM Student_Modules "
    SqlStr = SqlStr & "WHERE Student_ID = " & StudentID & ")"

(i.e. "SELECT Module_Code FROM Modules WHERE Module_Code NOT IN
       (SELECT Module_Code FROM Student_Modules WHERE Student_ID = <StudentID>))

    Set rdoRSet = rdoConn.OpenResultset(SqlStr, rdOpenDynamic, rdConcurLock)

I get an error with the following message:

    S1C00: [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle] Cannot use Keyset-driven cursor     on join, with distinct clause, union, intersect orminus or on read-only     result set

So I try changing the type of recordset to rdOpenStatic, and I get this error instead:

    S1C00: [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle] Only Keyset-driven cursors are     updateable

Does anyone have any idea how to get round this problem?

Thanks in advance,

---
Akin

email: ak_soto at yahoo dot co dot uk