Table inserts with LONG variable length recs

From: <debras_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/21

We have an Oracle 8.0.5 database running on HP-UX 10.20. When doing bulk inserts (with delayed commits) we are seeing painfully slow inserts for tables that have variable length records greater than 125 bytes (datatype is LONG RAW). LOBs are not options with our app yet.
The inserts are 4 times faster if the variable length is 125 or less. The strange part is that the same bulk inserts on an identical table in NT behave just fine.
Oracle can't tell me what's wrong and wants to pass me off to consulting. I'm going to try rebuilding the database with a larger block size (which is currently 8k) to rule out row chaining issues. Any suggestions?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Mar 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CST