Re: Standby Database 8.1.5, Production 8.0.4

From: <ethanpost_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/17

We are setting up a standby database for testing purposes at the moment and we want the ability to open it read only, thus we need 8.1.5, for some reporting purposes. Just see if i can avois upgrading the production system for the time being.

In article <38D28CBA.352A387E_at_wolfenet.com>, Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com> wrote:
> Oracle's redolog format is different between these versions. You can
> get an 8.1.5 instance to recover 8.0.4 logs by setting the COMPATIBLE
> initialization parameter to 8.0.4, but use of the system as a standby
> may not be supported. I also can't think of why you would want to do
> it. It doesn't provode a faster rolling upgrade or anything like
 that.
> What's the idea?
>
> --
> Jeremiah
>
> ethanpost_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > One more thing, the docs say:
> >
> > "You must use the same version, release, and patch of the operating
> > systems on the production and standby hosts. The standby host can,
> > however, use a different disk configuration."
> >
> > I can't think of any way Oracle is actually going to check this. Is
> > this a recommendation or are they saying it is impossible? -e
> >
> > In article <8atvht$tv8$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > ethanpost_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Any problems running 8.0.4 production instance with a 8.1.5
 standby
> > > database? -e

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CST