Re: Estimate row length and INT to NUMBER(38)

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/17

In article <8armit$jnt$1_at_web1.cup.hp.com>, "Maggie" <maggiezhou_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> One of developer in my company generated Sequence number from 1
 increment
> with 1 and define sequence as INT. However, Oracle convert INT to
> NUMBER(38). I try to estimate the table size. I dont know how to
> calculate the row length becasue number is variable-length data type
 and the
> sequence generated only occupy serveral digits but it show as NUMBER
 (38).
> This developer defined many columns as INT and finally he got many
> NUMBER(38) length columns. Do I need ask him to change his table
> definition?

Oracle normally publishes the formula for calculating the internal storage of a number datatype in the Concepts Manual.

It is something like 1 for the exponent + (floor( digits/2 ) + 1) + 1 for the sign but I believe the sign is only required when negative. Check the manual if you really need to be exact.

Personally I prefer to declare my tables as number(precision,scale).

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.