Re: Is MTS reliable with Oracle?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 2000/03/14

Faizul Hamid wrote in message <8abfcs$hb3$1_at_news.gov.on.ca>...

<snipped>
>The application we are developing is a workflow and document management
>application, with over 1,000 users. Currently we are in the
>development/prototyping phase, utilizing ActiveX components in a web
>browser.

Not my intention to flame this architecture, however I am curious as to why you want to use it? It this yet another case of simply using technology for the sake of technology? From the little you mention, it does sound like that to me.. I mean come on... activeX controls via a web browser... mixing MTS and Oracle..?

One principle that I heartily support is KISS. Keeping things simple. And without good business or technical reasons, I will be very hesitant to try and throw this architecture together.

Maybe it is because I grew up with the old development school. There's is still mainframe systems written in COBOL and FORTRAN than we developed back in the 80's that are being used today (sure, they needed to be Y2K fixed). However, looking at the life cycle of these systems, the cost of maintenance of the software, it is by far -less- than many client server systems of today that has a very short life cycle of 2 or 3 years, attempting to use "state of the art" technology and just winding up shooting itself in the foot. Repeatedly. With a large calibre hand gun.

Oh well, my crazed thoughts on the subject anyway...

:-)
Billy Received on Tue Mar 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CST