Please Help !: How to handle raw devices...

From: Roger <NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de>
Date: 2000/03/12

Can someone please tell me how Oracle handles raw devices ? AFAIK one raw device partition is considered a datafile ? For example: If I got a partition named /dev/rtdsk/oradata/user01.dbf my "create tablespace" would look like:

CREATE TABLESPACE user01

   DATAFILE '/dev/rtdsk/oradata/user01.dbf' SIZE 18GB

Is this the right way to do it ? Can I have more then one datafile in one partition ? The guy who installed the cluster told me that Oracle should skip the first 16 bytes of each partition, otherwise the partition information is destroyed. Does Oracle handles this automaticaly or must I tell Oracle to skip the first 16bytes.

BTW: This is an ORacle Parallel Server installation on a Sun Solaris cluster.

Bye
  Roger Received on Sun Mar 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CST