Re: Please Help !: How to handle raw devices...

From: Tim Cuthbertson <timcuth_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/03/13

There should be a chapter in your platform-specific Administrator's Guide that includes a major section on using raw devices. E.g., I found it in my "Oracle 8.0.5 Administrator's Guide for Sun Solaris 2.x".

Good luck,
Tim

In article <8agikd$anu$1_at_opal.hamburg.cityline.net>, "Roger" <NOrgSPAM_at_mcs-hh.de> wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how Oracle handles raw devices ? AFAIK one
 raw
> device partition is considered a datafile ?
> For example: If I got a partition named /dev/rtdsk/oradata/user01.dbf
 my
> "create tablespace" would look like:
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE user01
> DATAFILE '/dev/rtdsk/oradata/user01.dbf' SIZE 18GB
>
> Is this the right way to do it ? Can I have more then one datafile in
 one
> partition ? The guy who installed the cluster told me that Oracle
 should
> skip the first 16 bytes of each partition, otherwise the partition
> information is destroyed. Does Oracle handles this automaticaly or
 must I
> tell Oracle to skip the first 16bytes.
>
> BTW: This is an ORacle Parallel Server installation on a Sun Solaris
> cluster.
>
> Bye
> Roger

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Mar 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CST