Re: Help! Moving Instances

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: 2000/03/05

In article <89m9ua$s4e$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, sjoshi_at_ingr.com wrote:
..
> I have two database instance in oracle 7.3.2 now I want to upgrade
>to 8.0.5.1.1 but I am not pretty sure what is the exactly step for
>this procedure when I have two instances....
I'm upgrading a bunch of databases from 7.3.4 to 8.1.5 . One thing I've found, which Oracle doesn't say much about, is that it takes careful environment set-up to support concurrent usage of different Oracle versions without stooping to something awkward like creating a new Unix userid to own each release. With two instances you'll probably want to give this issue some attention so you can upgrade one of them at a time. Principles I've concluded so far:

  1. Don't allow setting of ORACLE_HOME by .profile or any other code than your central Oracle environment script.
  2. In your environment script, get the appropriate ORACLE_HOME for the SID from /etc/oratab, don't hard-code it. (Or I guess you could get it from listener.ora, but that's harder to parse.) Now you can switch libraries with table entries as you upgrade your databases.
  3. Build your path in three pieces. Build BASE_PATH one time in .profile, and keep it around. On each SID switch set PATH to $BASE_PATH and add the appropriate oracle directories. Then add the appropriate application directories. This way, every SID switch works no matter what version of Oracle the particular database is at, and you don't have to disconnect and reconnect or su to a different userid to change SIDs across Oracle versions.

Now maybe someone would like to answer your original question?!

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa