Re: Oracle Pricing is kind of lame

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:28:53 GMT

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:39:42 GMT, kevinator_ca_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I've been working with oracle for about a 2 years now. In the past,
>I've worked on large government contracts that had the funding to pay
>Oracle's outrageous licensing fees. Now I work for a smaller company
>and I was shocked when I learned how much oracle wants to extort from
>us.

I'm sure they are just charging what the market will bear<g>, but here's an amusing (and true!) anecdote that you might enjoy. A year ago I was helping a major city install an interactive voice-responce (IVR) system that would allow water users to dial in on a telephone, enter their customer #, and have their current bill amount spoken back to them over the phone. The backend database was Oracle, and the city needed to purchase the necessary client licences for this. The first Oracle rep that I spoke to said that I would have to pay a client license fee for all possible users, in other words for every one living in that particular city. He was dead serious too<g>. The IVR system only had 12 incomming lines, so there was no way we were going to pay for 500,000+users. We eventually paid for 12 clients.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 10:28:53 CST