Re: Choosing between 8i Standard and Enterprise?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:28:50 GMT

On 18 Feb 2000 09:24:31 -0700, dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca (Malcolm Dunnett) wrote:

> 1.) A datasheet I've seen says "Online index build" is only
> available in the Enterprise edition. What does this
> feature mean? Does this affect ones ability to do
> CREATE INDEX and DROP INDEX commands while the database
> is being used?

You can use CREATE INDEX and DROP INDEX from the standard edition of Oracle. What you can't do is to rebuild an existing index on the fly, while it is still being accessed by the users.

> 2.) Given identical databases and computer setups are there
> performance difference between Enterprise and Standard
> edition ( eg does Enterprise cache things any better or
> allow larger SGAs, etc ).

I am not aware of any differences in these areas. Any performance differences would have to come from leveraging the EE-specific features.

> 3.) If one is dealing with a database that has a thousand or
> so tables in total, with the largest tables having a couple
> of million rows ( total database size of 5-10GB ) and all
> access will be via SQLNet ( OCI and ODBC) is there
> any compelling reason to use Enterprise edition vs Standard?

I think the question to ask is do you need the EE-specific features such as bitmapped indexes, and online index rebuilds. Personally, I wish Oracle would just have one version period. The feature split is marketing driven. Oracle will put into the standard edition whatever they need to in order to compete with SQL Server. Anything else goes into EE so they can charge an arm and a leg for it.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 10:28:50 CST