Re: Operating System BACKUP procedure of an open database !

From: Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:40:56 GMT

At the end of the backup, and before you copy control file, issue an 'alter system switch logfile'. This insure a checkpoint.

'Archive log current' just write to disk what may be written (completed and switched redo logs, but did not force being filled redo logs to be archived and switched).

Also when you restore, why do you automatically take your restore from backup controlfile and 'open reset logs'. These features are only for partial restore (ie : up to time), not full restore like 'recover database '. Open resetlogs are usually requested by 'create controlfile' command (if you need tio change your path, issue a backup controlfile to trace and retrieve it for modification in udum).

B. Polarski

--
B.Polarski

http://www.geocities.com/bpolarsk
Email : bpolarsk_at_yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 05:40:56 CST