Internationalization Of Software in Oracle 8.0.5

From: Samir Mehrotra <samirmehrotraNOsaSPAM_at_mailcity.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 02:20:32 -0800

Hi,
I have recently started working on a project to provide Multi-Lingual support to the existing software (In English) having Oracle at the back end. My aim is to provide support initially for the Korean language but the changes should be such that it the existing software can be provided in any language with no changes(if possible) or minimal changes. I have some queries:

1.0 Is Unicode is the best solution?

2.0 What are the versions of Unicode, that are supported by Oracle ad which one should i opt for?

3.0 What are the issues that must be taken care of before undertaking such an activity? such as Storage parameters, their precision etc.(as some character sets store as per the number of characters while others store in bytes)

4.0 What should be the choice of our character set, i.e., The National Character set and the database character set (especially in the case of the Korean Language)?

5.0 What should be done in order to support Multiple Languages with minimal or no changes?

6.0 What is a language pack and up to what an extent is it useful? Is it supported by Oracle? If Yes, where i can get it from?

7.0 Does Korean language have any upper or lower cases?

8.0 Do we require to take care of any fonts that would support Double Byte Character Sets(DBCS)? if yes, then which