Creating controlfile when datafiles have been resized smaller

From: Vartan Narinian <vsn_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:06:25 GMT

Hi all,

We have a number of databases that need to have their controlfiles re-created to increase db_files from 100 to 250. This is on 7.3.2 plus patches.

Most of these have datafiles which at some point in time were resized to be smaller than when they were actually created. This was done for performance reasons (another datafile on a different disk was added to that tablespace).

I have been told that the control file creation might fail unless I resize these datafiles to their original size. This is supposedly due to some bug in 7.3.2 but I have not been given any more details.

Obviously it is undesirable to resize these datafiles larger again. Could anyone tell me what happens if I don't? I tried it a few times on the test machine and there was no problem at all...

Thanks
--
Vartan Received on Sun Feb 13 2000 - 16:06:25 CST