Re: drop column; nologging!?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 08:49:27 -0000

One of the options on the drop a column command is a commit size.

    CHECKPOINT INTEGER Be warned however that using this
option can results in lots of commits
taking place very rapidly, leading to
other long-running processes getting
ORA-01555. NB This probably won't reclaim any space for you either until you rebuild the table.

The best strategy is probably

    alter table set unused column XXX;

alter table move nologging;

This gets rid of the column without generating redo, and repacks the table. The downside is that you have to rebuild all the indexes (and you will probably want to take a new backup of the tablespace since there is no log of the table for recovery).

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk