Re: Sort operations

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:50:50 -0000

You have to remember that you can
allocate multi sort_area_retained_size, but only a single sort_area_size.

If you look through v$sql at the SORTS
columns, you may find that some statements require multiple sort cursors open concurrently. In these cases the sort_area_size allocation is used to do the result is dumped to disc and a sort_area_retained_size allocation is used to feed the results from disc to the next step of the execution path.

The worst case I've seen recently was
SORTS=7 in v$sql, but you have to
get quite exotic SQL these days to
achieve that.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

<950279225.1472.0.nnrp-13.c1ed6dcb_at_news.demon.co.uk>...