Re: Sort operations

From: Simon Waters <Simon_at_wretched.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:21:02 -0000

I noticed also on 7.3.4 that the SORT_AREA_RETAINED_SIZE defaults to the SORT_AREA_SIZE, if you set the SORT_AREA_SIZE in the init file.

Seems a sensible default, but I could not find it explained in the manual, this area does seem a tad underdocumented.

Presumably you set the retained size smaller than the sort size if you need to allocate more memory than you can afford to lose permanently (in SORT_AREA_SIZE)?     Simon, all of whose 'sorts' happen in memory.

Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote in message news:38A41691.39C18A22_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov... Alexander,

This is wrong. The SORT_AREA_SIZE controls the maximum amount of memory allocated to an in-memory sort. If the sort exceeds this size, then the sort is broken into smaller pieces and sorted (at least partially) on disk. I'd trust the Oracle documentation before Special Edition. Received on Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:21:02 CST