Re: file size limitations?

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:44:17 GMT

There is some variance based on release, but in 8.0.x the file size limit is 2M * db_block_size. That means a db with the default 2K block size has a file size limit (for a single data file) of 4G. An 8K block=16GB file size.

I just had to recover a database in 8.0.3 (upgraded it to 8.0.5.2.2) because of file problems. That's how I found out. In article <389b3d6f.3501344_at_news.image.dk>,   gollum.NOSPAM_at_image.dk (Gollum) wrote:
> It is correct that the exp and imp utilities have a 2 Gb file size
> limit, however several workarounds to break this limit exist (by using
> stdin/stdout mechanism).
>
> Regarding using datafiles larger than 2 Gb I usually recommend that
> unless you have a specific need for such large files, don't use them!
> - at least, not in a production environment.
> There has been (and might still be) numerous bugs (OS and Oracle)
> related to this, so let the others find them (while you can run on
> your stable <2Gb files :-).
>
> Cheers,
> Gollum
>
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:06:25 GMT, Brian Peasland
> <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
>
> >Solaris 2.6 doesn't have a 2GB, but the Oracle software might. On my
Sun
> >boxes, I can create a file larger than 2GB. But the export utility
> >can't. So when I export, I have to compress the file through a pipe.
> >When I do this, I'm bypassing Export's writing to disk. It's writing
> >a pipe and the file can be much bigger.
> >
> >Anyway, to be sure that one of your tablespaces doesn't run out of
room
> >and doesn't hit a 2GB file size limit, just add another datafile to
the
> >tablespace.
> >
> >HTH,
> >Brian
> >
> >Nuno Souto wrote:

> >> Probably yes. Most older UNIX implementations have that limit.
Dunno

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Feb 09 2000 - 15:44:17 CST