Re: Init. Parameter:DML_LOCKS

From: Michel Cadot <micadot_at_netcourrier.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:30:00 +0100

From Oracle 7.3 doc (no difference in 8.0 and 8i):

DML_LOCKS Default value:
derived (4 * TRANSACTIONS)

Range of values:
20 - unlimited, 0

Multiple instances:
must all have positive values or must all be 0

The maximum number of DML locks--one for each table modified in a transaction. Value should equal the grand total of locks on tables referenced by all users. For example, if 3 users are modifying data in one table, then 3 entries would be required. If 3 users are modifying data in 2 tables, then 6 entries would be required.

The default value assumes an average of 4 tables referenced per transaction. For some systems, this value may not be enough.

If the value is set to 0, enqueues are disabled and performance is slightly increased. However, you cannot use DROP TABLE, CREATE INDEX, or explicit lock statements such as LOCK TABLE IN EXCLUSIVE MODE. If the value is set to 0 on one instance, it must be set to 0 on all instances of an Oracle Parallel Server.

--
Have a nice day
Michel