Re: Sun SPARC Solaris 7 -- SEMMNS and SEMMSL

From: Karen <bko00_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:45:41 GMT

In article <87o7s2$g62$1_at_news.fas.harvard.edu>,   tiny anklet bells <nroshak_at_hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I'm running a bunch of Oracle 8 databases on a Sun SPARC Solaris 7
box.
> I need to adjust the SEMMSL and SEMMNS kernel parameters to accomodate
> a couple of new databases (several separate databases are required for
> development/testing purposes here). I know that if I set semaphore
> parameters too high, I can break the system so hard it won't boot.
> Trouble is that my sysadmin doesn't know what the max values are, or
> where to find out. How can I find out the max values of these
parameters
> for our server?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Natalka Roshak

I don't know if this will work for SPARC Solaris, but this is how I did it on Intel Solaris.
To see your current settings for your kernel parameters, type sysdef | grep -i <param>
ex. sysdef | grep -i semmsl

To change your values, as root, edit your /etc/system file. set semsys: seminfo_semmsl=25 (or whatever you want to change it to) set semsys: seminfo_semmns=1750

You will need to relink your kernel to have these take effect. Be sure you do this with your sys admin!

HTH,
Karen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 08 2000 - 09:45:41 CST