Best option for performance

From: <muppetsrule_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 02:32:53 GMT

I have a very large table (100+ million rows 700+ columns) that I need to access as quickly as I can. I have read in several spots that stored procedures can improve performance, but I have not seen that. I only need to do selects from the table, but I need to do them as quickly as I can. The box that I am running on will have 16Gb of RAM, and four processors, and I can use as much as the box as I can. I am not the DBA, so DB tuning is out of my control, but I have done some testing with different ways to retrieval to the database. I tried straight PRO*C first, and it was the slowest by far (~800 transactions / sec) PRO*C + stored procedure was not much faster (~825), but PL/SQL was fastest (~3700), PL/SQL + stored procedure was a little slower (~3200), but these tests were done on a one row, one column table so that I could test the interface. When I begin accessing the real tables, will I see the difference that a stored procedure will make that might not be reflected in such a small table? Also, one method that I have not looked into is Native Dynamic SQL....is this worth taking them time to benchmark? Thanks for any suggestions!

Sincerely,
Andy Schaefer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Feb 05 2000 - 20:32:53 CST