Re: Upgrading from 8.0.x to 8.1.x considered harmful

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 21:41:35 -0500

On Sat, 05 Feb 2000 23:16:04 GMT, GC <assistant_madman_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have set 8i and 8.0.5 up fine on HP-UX 11.00 and NT. The only problems
>I have had is when a dba under me has attempted to use the same
>$ORACLE_HOME for both. Am I an isolated incident? Who else has had
>success/failure with 8i and 8.0.x?

I went from 8.0.6 to 8.1.5 on two machines. In both cases merely installing 8.1.5 in a separate home and then running the upgrade scripts on the database and updating the init.ora files to remove obsolete parameters. No problems were encounted except a very minor 8i syntax change re: MTS.

I've also done some clean installs and db builds and no problems occurred.

EVERYTHING is faster under 8i, so far as I can tell. Large batch jobs in particular have seem dramatic improvements without changing a line of already-optimized 8.0 programs.

Chris

Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Sandbox.com
chamilton_at_sandbox-inc.com