Re: Oracle on MVS ?

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 19:07:08 GMT

>hello,
>Does Oracle run on the mainframe. If so, does it
>run on MVS, OS/390,

Yes and Yes

>and what else.

Sorry, I've only experienced OS/390

>What about reliability and ease of use.

No more problems than you'd expect:-)

In fact, it's spooky to see all the normal init.ora stuff in a dataset. The biggest problem, of course, is either skilling up existing Oracle DBAs on the Operating System stuff or finding OS/390 capable DBAs.

It's worth noting that we did struggle a bit with the division of labour: Oracle assumes really that system admin and DBA is one role; mainframe sites tipically have a clear divide between the two (and e.g. DB2 caters for this divide).

Len Received on Sat Feb 05 2000 - 13:07:08 CST