Re: Help Shell Script Woes

From: Stephen Darlington <stephen_at_zx81.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:53:01 -0000

Van Messner wrote in message
<006fb0e0.68a5070d_at_usw-ex0106-047.remarq.com>...
>Thus I assume the assigment to ORACLE_SID is ok.
>But when I look at my environment variables, the ORACLE_SID is
>not changed to GSP2.
>
>Can anyone think why not?

Environment variables in shell scripts are not available to the calling shell (command line). There is quite a good reason for this, but it's quite difficult to explain without getting into some very dull technical details...

However, your script is okay. Rather than calling it like this:

script.sh

Call it like this:

. script.sh

HTH,