Re: Reclaim my space NOW!

From: <atta707_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:57:04 GMT

Thanks Jonathan,

I wasn't really surprized for tablespace growing 6mb, it was just that how to drag the highwater mark down to get this 6mb freed, of course, without dropping or truncating the table.

Don't you think it would be nice to have a way to drag the highwater mark down again?

ATTA In article <949614996.27811.0.nnrp-14.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Given that you don't want to drop or truncate
> the table, you can't. You've inserted rows,
> pushing the highwater mark up and dirtying
> blocks - you can't drag the high-water mark
> down again.
>
> Given that you've inserted somewhere between
> 1,00 and 32,000 times as many rows as you
> had, why are you surprised that the table has
> grown to 6 Mb ?
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> atta707_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <87b4cc$ncf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> >dear all,
> >
> >please consider this, if you would:
> >
> >log on as scott/tiger;
> >disable primary key for EMP;
> >
> >loop about 10 to 15 times
> > -- incremental inserts...
> > insert into EMP select * from EMP;
> >end loop
> >rollback;
> >
> >the number of extents allocated for emp grows to 15, about 6 mb of
> >tablespace!
> >
> >now could anyone please help me with how to reclaim this space and
get
> >the EMP table to shrink back to it's legtimate size or, at least, to
> >the size bofore this transaction took place?
> >
> >i'm reluctant to either drop or truncate this table!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:57:04 CST