Re: High Water Mark in Storage Manager

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 14:39:57 +0100

What do you mean, you increased the initial size? Of the tablespace? But a tablespace doesn't have an initial size, only a DEFAULT initial size, and that's the size of the initial extent that a table or index will get if you create that table or index in this tablespace, and don't specify the initial extent yourself in the CREATE command. So your increasing hasn't changed anything physically, it's only for future use.

You are writing that the storage manager shows the used space and the high water mark. A tablespace consists of one or more datafiles: probably the high water mark is the highest point in a DATAFILE where an object has been created, so you can't resize the datafile smaller than the high water mark for that file. The used space of a TABLESPACE is probably the percentage of the space of all the datafiles that make up the tablespace, that is not yet filled with table or index segments. So you easily could have an almost empty tablespace, with one little table at the eof the datafile, giving you a low used space and a high high water mark percentage.

Hope this helps.

Jaap.

Frank Heyne heeft geschreven in bericht <878vir$nuq$1_at_rks1.urz.tu-dresden.de>...