8i Server Standard Edition Scale beyond 4 processors?

From: Mike Ross <mross_at_postoffice.dca.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 20:16:58 -0500

ORACLE has recomended that we buy 8i ENTERPRISE EDITION for UNIX boxes with > 4 processors instead of STANDARD EDITION.

I'm unclear from discusions with ORACLE the precise reason.

Is it because STANDARD EDITION doesn't scale well beyond 4 processors OR
They feel that a database on a box with > 4 processors will need to take advantage of the additonal features of 8i - for example bit map indexes, parallel query, etc..

My initial impression was that ENTERPRISE EDITION (EE) and STANDARD EDITION were identical except for the additonal EE features detailed in the ORACLE white paper "ORACLE 8i: A Family of Database Products".

My specific related questions are:
Is the database engine the same on ENTERPRISE EDITION and STANDARD EDITION? Does STANDARD EDITION scale beyond 4 processors?

If we buy ENTERPRISE EDITION for a 6 processor box and do not implement any of EE's additonal features, are we wasting our money?

Thanks for any help
mross_at_dca.net Received on Tue Feb 01 2000 - 19:16:58 CST