Re: 8i Server Standard Edition Scale beyond 4 processors?

From: spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:08:39 -0600

For us, the difference between "standard edition" and "enterprise edition" boiled down to this:

Oracle licenses "standard edition" only on specific hardware configurations.

The issue isn't whether Oracle "standard edition" scales to 4 or more processors. The issue is compliance with license agreement. If you want to run "standard edition" then stick to the specified hardware configurations.

"Mike Ross" <mross_at_postoffice.dca.net> wrote in message news:38978589.DF705E95_at_postoffice.dca.net...
> ORACLE has recomended that we buy 8i ENTERPRISE EDITION for
UNIX boxes
> with > 4 processors instead of STANDARD EDITION.
>
> I'm unclear from discusions with ORACLE the precise reason.
>
> Is it because STANDARD EDITION doesn't scale well beyond 4
processors
> OR
> They feel that a database on a box with > 4 processors will
need to take
> advantage of the additonal features of 8i - for example bit
map indexes,
> parallel query, etc..
>
> My initial impression was that ENTERPRISE EDITION (EE) and
STANDARD
> EDITION were identical except for the additonal EE features
detailed in
> the ORACLE white paper "ORACLE 8i: A Family of Database
Products".

> My specific related questions are:
> Is the database engine the same on ENTERPRISE EDITION and
STANDARD