connecting to SQL*Plus with 8i via ISP

From: Dana Reed <danareed_at_oro.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:32:23 -0800

We can't connect to an 8i server with SQL*Plus (version 8.1.5) through the internet; the error is "ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out". However, we CAN connect to the same server with a RAS connection. The tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files were generated with Net8 Assistant.

The connection timeout on the server has been upped to 100 seconds. Also, the listener log shows that the connection gets to that level, but it never completes at the client. In fact, the listener log entries are identical when the connections are made either through the ISP or RAS; the difference is, the ISP connection times-out but the RAS connection succeeds.

The server is behind a firewall, with the IP address for the server open, as well as port 1521. We have several 7.3 servers behind the same firewall that we've been accessing for years, and in fact can use SQL*Plus 8.1.5 to get to them as well (using SIDs instead of service names).

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated! Received on Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:32:23 CST