Re: SQL vs. Oracle

From: Al Manint <al_manint_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:33:23 -0600

I'm on my way to OCP and I'm certified w/ M$ SQL Server 6.5/7 - Oracle DOES some things better but they are really the kings of vapor ware and next rev packs to fix "features" in this version.

7 is easier to admin. The performance advantage that Oracle had over 6.5 are GONE in 7 (on nt and I believe close in UNIX terms).

Oracle has some cool stuff - the image cartridge has helped us do some image transforms in the DB from jpg to bmp in a stored proc and I like the way you do sequences and the way triggers are handled are VASTLY superior to M$.

On the whole - go with SQL 7 if you don't have to scale to a multi-city distributed app. If you do - go Oracle and have about 200 programmers in your pocket.

Al Manint, MCSD Received on Fri Jan 21 2000 - 13:33:23 CST